Welcome to Farmleigh
An estate of seventy-eight acres situated to the north-west of Dublin’s Phoenix Park, Farmleigh provides accommodation for visiting dignitaries and guests of the nation. A historic house holding important collections, an art gallery, farm animals, and the official Irish State guest house, Farmleigh House and Estate is open seven days a week.
Home to the Guinness family for generations, Farmleigh remains a unique representation of its heyday, the Edwardian period, and houses important artworks and furnishings, as well as the Benjamin Iveagh collection of rare books, bindings, and manuscripts which is held in the Library. The extensive pleasure grounds feature walled and sunken gardens and scenic lakeside walks, tastefully influenced by the Guinness family.
Farmleigh is managed by the Office of Public Works. The Estate hosts a donkey sanctuary, horses and is home to a herd of Kerry Black cows. Join one of our knowledgeable guides for a tour of Farmleigh House that takes you from the eighteenth century, when building commenced, right up to the present day.
*Please note that there is no ATM in Farmleigh Estate.
- Farmleigh Estate is open daily 10am – 5pm and free to visit.
- Please observe social distancing and wear masks when queuing and when entering Farmleigh House, the Motor House, the Café or Galleries.
- Farmleigh House will be closed from the 1st of January to mid-March 2022.
- Farmleigh House Admissions Charges, March – December:
Senior (60+): €6.00
Child (12-17)/Student (ID required): €4.00
Child under 12: Free
Family (Two adults, max five children): €20.00
The average length of the house tour is 50 minutes.
Check out the full calendar of events here.
23 November 2021 – 6 February 2022
Śūnyatā is a Sanskrit word pronounced in English (shoon-ya-ta), translated most often as emptiness, vacuity, and sometimes voidness and is used in aspects of Buddhism. This exhibition is an example of ideas that nagGallery / nagOffsite / nagDesign demonstrate in its work. The philosophy and disciplines of the Japanese Aesthetic, most notably expressed in the concepts of Zen, are an influence on who the project works with and how it presents its exhibitions, installations and sound pieces. The curatorial decisions taken in the presentation are influenced by the Japanese concepts of Mu, ( emptiness and the void ) and particularly Ma, which is best described as, ‘the space between’ or as it was once poetically described as, “the silence between the notes that make the music.” The nagGallery artists all share the same disciplines, although manifested differently, in time based process, repetition and reduction. The three exhibited in this exhibition are the paintings of Kohei Nakata, the watercolours of Helena Gorey and the paintings and drawings of Jane Proctor with a Guest appearance of the sculptures by Deirdre McLoughlin.
Śūnyatā was curated by the Creative Director of nagGallery / nagOffsite / nagDesign Mark St.John Ellis
Farmleigh Gallery Opening Hours: Tuesday – Sunday 10am – 5pm (Closed for Lunch 1-2pm)
The Office of Public Works (OPW) present a retrospective of Daniel O’Neill’s work at the Farmleigh Gallery. The exhibition is being curated by art historian Karen Reihill with the majority of the works being borrowed from private collections, many unseen in public in over 50 years, as well as paintings from the collections of IMMA, University of Limerick and the Ulster Museum.
This exhibition will be Daniel O’Neill’s first retrospective since 1952 which was held at the Belfast Museum and Art Gallery (Ulster Museum) which then recorded a record attendance for the time. It is hoped that this exhibition will be an opportunity for the public to re-examine the life and work of this artist, who was highly regarded by the critics in the post war years and whose works were in popular demand until his death in 1974.
Born in Belfast, O’Neill had little orthodox training except for a few classes at the College of Art, Belfast. He started painting with watercolours at the age of fifteen and when possible spent all his spare time in the Belfast Reference Library studying the Italian renaissance painters. Working as an electrical engineer in the Belfast Corporation Transport Department, he worked on the night shift so he could paint during the day. This continued for over five years until he was taken up by the Dublin dealer, Victor Waddington, in 1945 where several one man shows followed. In 1948 he spent six months in France, mostly staying in Paris, where he was given the opportunity to study the painters he admired, such as Watteau, Rouault, Vlaminck, Utrillo and the Impressionists. During the late 1940’s/1950’s Daniel O’Neill was selected to participate in over twenty overseas exhibitions of Irish Art that toured Britian, Europe and the USA. Many of these exhibitions were sponsored by the Irish Department of External Affairs and they were intended to showcase the very best of Irish art abroad.
O’Neill moved to London in 1958 to start a new life. His paintings were then mainly sent to The Waddington Galleries in Montreal where he gained a new International market. His work was also shown at The Dawson Gallery in Dublin up until 1963 where it continued to be in demand but after that date his work was not seen in Dublin for another eight years which caused his work, and name, to fade in to the background. Throughout this period O’Neill struggled with personal problems. However an opportunity arose on a visit home when he was persuaded to return to Belfast and hold an exhibition there which opened in 1970. After an eighteen year absence from exhibiting in his native city critics expressed surprise at the new bright strong colours which was a move away from the sombre romantic style they had last seen in the 1950’s. Following this successful exhibition in Belfast, he held his last solo exhibition in Dublin in 1971 at the Dawson gallery and his future looked promising. Unfortunately due to a combination of events in Belfast his health deteriorated and he died tragically in March 1974 at the early age of 54.
This exhibition will be accompanied by an extensive catalogue detailing the life of Daniel O’Neill and that of his other innovative friends that make up the Belfast Boys, Gerard Dillon and George Campbell among others. It is hoped this publication along with the exhibition will lead to a reassessment of Daniel O’Neill’s place in the history of Irish art by a new audience and generation of critics, students and enthusiasts.
Gallery Opening Hours:
Tues – Sun (& Bank Holiday Mondays)
10am – 1pm
2pm – 5pm
Admission is free.
Join our mailing list.
The Farmleigh Blog
Read the latest posts below, and click through to the full Blog for all news articles and updates.
By Niall McFadden, Guide & Information Officer, Office of Public Works. Amongst many attractions for visitors to Farmleigh’s beautiful “Nobel” room are a series of photographs of the family of Edward Cecil Guinness, founder of Farmleigh in its modern form. Whilst...
by Aisling Randles, Office of Public Works, Farmleigh. Discover our wonderful trees on the historic Farmleigh Estate. Trees are amazing, they help to keep our air clean and our ecosystem healthy. They remove pollutants from the air and produce oxygen that we...
The focal point of Farmleigh's pleasure grounds is the lawn at the back of the house, which rises gently up to a large circular fountain. It is the view framed in the over fireplace window of the Nobel Room which beautifully connects the interior of Farmleigh house...